High Efficiency Speaker Asylum: Re: On Dinsdale on Horns. (long) by Bruce Edgar
Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.
|For Sale Ads|
In Reply to: On Dinsdale on Horns. (long) posted by Paul Eizik on April 16, 2003 at 13:44:02:
Well, Paul, you just got sucked in by Dinsdale's mishmash of right and wrong horn theory. I was also impressed until I started to take apart his design philosopy and found some very wrong assumptions.
The first wrong assumption is the use of any old driver in a horn. He used KEF drivers which are mass loaded. If you place these drivers on a horn, you lose bandwith. Notice that he does not present any frequency response plots.
The second wrong assumption is the design of a tractrix bass horn. It's an contridiction in terms. You can't get bass out of a tractrix design.
The third wrong assumption is bad things happen at the flare cutoff so Dinsdale says to back off by 20% the flare frequency. Some software out there uses this assuption. You plug in a frequency but you end up with a horn of lower flare frequency (20% below) that is longer than you need. But even worse, the mouth size is calculated for the input frequency, not the lower value. So the end result is a lower flare rate and a longer horn than you need with a too small a mouth. I alway do my own horn flare calculation.
I would say that about 5% of the horn literature out there is good, the rest is a mishmash of garbage and good stuff. Caveat Emptor!
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - On Dinsdale on Horns. (long) - Paul Eizik 13:44:02 04/16/03 ( 14)
- Re: On Dinsdale on Horns. (long) - Bruce Edgar 04/17/03 09:28:26 04/17/03 ( 5)
- Re: On Dinsdale on Horns. - Paul Eizik 22:12:39 04/17/03 ( 0)
- Re: On Dinsdale on Horns. (long) - larry moore 11:40:12 04/17/03 ( 2)
- Re: Low pressure family. - Paul Eizik 23:20:31 04/17/03 ( 0)
- Re: On Dinsdale on Horns. (long) - Bruce Edgar 17:26:29 04/17/03 ( 0)
Re: On Dinsdale on Horns. (long) 95% "filling" - freddyi 09:51:25 04/17/03 ( 0)
Re: On Dinsdale on Horns. (long) - freddyi 18:49:43 04/16/03 ( 7)
- Re: Dinsdale & W.W. - Paul Eizik 19:58:29 04/16/03 ( 6)
- Re: Dinsdale & W.W. - Tom Dawson 15:31:02 04/17/03 ( 4)
- Re: Dinsdale & W.W. slotted port - freddyi 19:32:16 04/17/03 ( 3)
- Re: Dinsdale & W.W. slotted port - Tom Dawson 20:42:07 04/17/03 ( 2)
- Re: Dinsdale & W.W. slotted port - one more thing - Caps - freddyi 21:23:14 04/17/03 ( 1)
- Re: Dinsdale & W.W. slotted port - one more thing - Caps - Tom Dawson 23:09:35 04/17/03 ( 0)
- Re: Dinsdale & W.W. - freddyi 20:44:55 04/16/03 ( 0)