In Reply to: RE: Totem Sky, Part 15 posted by fantja on May 6, 2021 at 21:52:06:
So far, the Totem Sky series has been a rousing success. I'd estimate that around 60 different audiophiles, from all over the world, have emailed me. And they have broached quite a variety of angles and topics. Many just wanted to share their own experiences with Totems, including the Sky. Many divulge information about where they live, how they listen, what types of music they like, what their room is like, what they look for, etc. Unusual for audiophiles, some even talk about sports. As always, the audiophile will let me know that his spouse likes reading my posts. Every now and then, an audiophile will tell me that his wife was or even still is, a teacher, and that she likes my writing.
And then there are those, whose spouse or children are our age. These people identify with "the MTV generation."
I field plenty of requests for "comparison" posts. Readers have told me that they like the ones comparing the Sky to other models, including other Totems. And then there's that small army, which wants me to bring in more of my non-audiophile friends as writing partners. I already get many of the photos from said friends. I've known many since the latter half of the 80s, which, conveniently enough, was when Totem got their start. Thus, I've been incorporating the late-80s, into some of these posts.
Speaking of the 80s, we wish we had taken more photos then. But again, for that, you needed a camera, battery, and film. Then you had to use up the roll, and get it developed. That was, for any student, already costly. Even more costly were Polaroids.
Most of my friends go back to the coast now, and swear that, when we were teens, the beach portions extended further. You go now, and there's very little sand. The photo at the top was taken at Moss Beach, summer of 2017. My wife (she was a schoolmate) and friends frowned, and thought that, regardless of tides, there was more beach, back in 1987-88, when they went there on a field trip.
Same goes for Monterey. We could have sworn that there used to be more than just a spit of sand, in that stretch between Fisherman's Wharf and El Torito.
Many beaches are subjected to natural erosion. Currents and waves take sand, and whisk it away into underwater canyons, and off the continental shelf. But the rest of the "loss" of sand is really just the Pacific Ocean rising, due to climate change. Many of my friends, who lived near the Great Highway, suspect that the waves now crash/break closer to the berm and road.
One Inmate likes to give me a bad time, frequently writing, "You and your damn beach photos!" Hahaha, that's 'cuz he lives in the heartland, and isn't anywhere near a coast. But he says those outdoor scenic photos answer the "where" question, and give him a better understanding and feeling for why the music influenced (or did not influence) me.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Totem Sky, Part 15 - Luminator 21:27:13 05/2/21 (49)
- RE: Totem Sky, Part 15 - fantja 03:02:48 05/23/21 (0)
- RE: Totem Sky, Part 15 - zimmerma 17:04:49 05/7/21 (3)
- Bah ! there's never enough... - peppy m. 11:51:22 05/8/21 (1)
- +1 - Mick Wolfe 14:43:11 05/8/21 (0)
- Never enough.... - Ivan303 18:08:35 05/7/21 (0)
- Someone has a guardian angle - airtime 09:30:03 05/7/21 (41)
- +1... - Ivan303 13:44:59 05/7/21 (0)
- What's the over/under - geoff 13:34:46 05/7/21 (0)
- Something else I've noticed... - jimbill 11:28:18 05/7/21 (37)
- That was disappointing - The Killer Piglet 12:01:33 05/7/21 (36)
- RE: That was disappointing - airtime 12:21:34 05/7/21 (35)
- I could be mistaken, but I believe he is... - TWB 12:26:32 05/7/21 (34)
- How can you tell? - airtime 13:18:40 05/7/21 (33)
- RE: I posted there recently... - dean_martin 15:23:35 05/7/21 (0)
- Hump or death? -t - The Killer Piglet 13:28:53 05/7/21 (31)
- RE: Hump or death? -t - longtimequadowner 14:40:50 05/7/21 (30)
- Uh on, somebody's got a thing for Asian girls amirite? (nt) - Dave_K 05:08:10 05/8/21 (1)
- Close - longtimequadowner 09:11:35 05/8/21 (0)
- RE: Hump or death? -t - 13th Duke of Wymbourne 17:33:45 05/7/21 (4)
- RE: Hump or death? -t - longtimequadowner 18:16:13 05/7/21 (3)
- RE: Hump or death? -t - rivervalley817 15:28:09 05/7/21 (0)
- Well, someone couldn't skip a post they didn't like. - The Killer Piglet 14:45:42 05/7/21 (21)
- LOL! EXACTLY! Talk about someone getting their panties in a bunch... (nt) - TWB 15:34:57 05/7/21 (20)
- Lumi's posts don't bother, I just don't get... - The Killer Piglet 16:08:58 05/7/21 (19)
- Nothing! But someone obvisously thought it was.... - TWB 19:05:40 05/7/21 (18)
- No, I'm not a moderator - Luminator 19:52:54 05/7/21 (17)
- Good on you for standing up to the bullying... - MaxwellP 08:53:45 05/8/21 (10)
- "I don't know why people are attacking you" - Dave_K 13:24:54 05/8/21 (9)
- I'm aware... - MaxwellP 15:51:08 05/8/21 (7)
- In fairness, few are attacking Lummy... - Ivan303 06:08:57 05/9/21 (6)
- RE: In fairness, few are attacking Lummy... - longtimequadowner 09:35:02 05/9/21 (5)
- RE: "Luminator has only 244 posts total (all forums) since 2021-01-01" - Ivan303 09:43:11 05/9/21 (4)
- RE: "Luminator has only 244 posts total (all forums) since 2021-01-01" - longtimequadowner 10:23:39 05/9/21 (3)
- "Take Rock out of it, and I doubt anyone would be complaining about "frequency" / enthusiasm" - Dave_K 13:36:11 05/9/21 (0)
- Well, if anyone buys a beer... - Luminator 11:15:25 05/9/21 (1)
- RE: Well, if anyone buys a beer... - longtimequadowner 12:57:52 05/9/21 (0)
- RE: "I don't know why people are attacking you" - rivervalley817 14:00:12 05/8/21 (0)
- "Each day, audiophiles email me privately" - Dave_K 05:04:35 05/8/21 (0)
- RE: No, I'm not a moderator - rivervalley817 21:10:51 05/7/21 (2)
- RE: No, I'm not a moderator - longtimequadowner 21:33:50 05/7/21 (1)
- RE: No, I'm not a moderator - rivervalley817 22:05:50 05/7/21 (0)
- LOL! Thanks for clearing that up! As I said previously.... - TWB 20:18:54 05/7/21 (1)
- There's a whole army of pop music audiophiles out there - Luminator 13:34:58 05/8/21 (0)
- AMEN to THAT! (nt) - TWB 10:11:49 05/7/21 (0)
- RE: Totem Sky, Part 15 - fantja 21:52:06 05/6/21 (1)
- Rising sea levels - Luminator 05/6/2123:09:07 05/6/21 (0)
- Rising sea levels - Luminator 05/6/2123:09:07 05/6/21 (0)