Inmate Central, where civil and family-friendly discourse about off-audio topics (other than religion and politics) is welcome.
In Reply to: RE: You are now hocking books ??? posted by emailtim on February 27, 2022 at 17:49:09:
I guess you have not been paying attention in Tenessee - Republicans - it's always the Republicans. Trump is a Republican. Republicans are always the ones who are about banning books - and since they don't stand up and say it is wrong then they are guilty of "going along with book banning". Silence can be deafening.
I don't live in China - I live in Hong Kong - I can read any books in Hong Kong. Albeit books critical of china directly have not been allowed - similar to books in Thailand critical of the king. Books are not banned in Canada - and when people have tried to ban books in Canada - it is always Conservatives who try to ban them. Conservatives are Canada's version of Republicans. It's always the Republicans on team "book burning." I'd be embarrassed to be on that team - you are on that team - why do you go along with it?
China bans books - that is bad. That is very bad. So maybe you should call out Republicans and Trumpers for wanting to follow in China's and Russia's footsteps? I remember when Reagan Republicans cared about free speech and free press. What happened?
Maybe we both actually agree on something - book banning is bad. So why is it the left who has to say it - why are you and other Republicans not writing letters to Tennessee saying "I am a Trump supporter and life long Republican and I demand that you not ban books. It is a person's freedom of choice to read about books they wish to read about. Where are you on this? The Tennesse school boards and others who are Trump voters won't listen to lefties on the matter - they might listen to YOU. Why are YOU not standing up to them - why are you just going along with them? And when a Mitt Romney or Liz Cheney stands up in defiance on the batcrap crazy - it is them who are renounced! Sad.
Fortunately, in Hong Kong, I can read MAUS and Animal Farm and 1984. Maybe not for too much longer but then I will leave HK if and when that time comes that it finally falls.
I teach at a Catholic School, down the road is a Mormon church, and there are plenty of Mosques in Hong Kong.
"According to the 2016 census, Islam is practised by 4.1% of the population of Hong Kong, or about 300,000 Muslims. Of this number, 50,000 are Chinese, 150,000 are Indonesians and 30,000 are Pakistanis, with the rest from other parts of the world. The vast majority of Muslims in Hong Kong are Sunni."
Might be a decent idea to actually know the difference between Hong Kong and China. Every time one of you Deliverance Trumpette crackpots mentions Xie you prove yourselves to be ignorant morons.
And let's put freedom into some context shall we
The overall ranking of Freedom worldwide is divided into two sections
Personal freedom involves indicators such as the fairness of the laws, personal safety, freedom of movement and assembly, freedom of religion, freedom to run for political office, freedom of the press, freedom of speech and expression, and freedom to pursue same-sex relationships or obtain a divorce.
Economic freedom observes indicators such as the size of the government and degree of overbearance it imposes, tax and interest rates, the impartiality of the courts and integrity of the legal system, freedom to participate in financial markets and/or trade internationally, minimum wage, the cost of starting a business, the presence or absence of conscription (obligatory government work), and general freedom to prosper financially without intervention from the government or economic authority.
The 12 Categories of the Human Freedom Index:
Rule of Law
Security and Safety
Association, Assembly, and Civil Society
Expression and Information
Identity and Relationships
Size of Government
Legal System and Property Rights
Access to Sound Money
Freedom to Trade Internationally
As of 2022, Hong Kong ranks as number 30th freest country in the world. China ranks 150th. The United States ranks 15th. The top ten are all "socialism/capitalism high safety net, pro middle class and worker rights nations."
Switzerland — 9.11
New Zealand — 9.01
Denmark — 8.98
Estonia — 8.91
Ireland — 8.90
Canada — 8.85
Finland — 8.85
Australia — 8.84
Sweden — 8.83
Luxembourg — 8.80
Hong Kong still ranks ahead of other notable nations such as Poland, France, Panama, South Korea, Israel, Hungary, Thailand, The Philippines and for "personal freedom" ranks way ahead of the United States. https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/freedom-index-by-country
Tenessee as you must have missed it as they probably don't report it on Fox.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Germany sending 1,000 anti-tank javelin missles - emailtim 15:46:55 02/26/22 (67)
- Garry Kasparov on Russia's Attack on Ukraine - RGA 00:06:46 02/27/22 (0)
- RE: Germany sending 1,000 anti-tank javelin missles - elblanco 19:06:58 02/26/22 (0)
- Hypothetically... for the resident military experts - RGA 18:13:27 02/26/22 (18)
- RE: Hypothetically... for the resident military experts - b.l.zeebub 02:08:47 02/27/22 (0)
- well... - Jim Pearce 19:31:57 02/26/22 (0)
- Doubt it. its current Russian doctrine and they will find a No2 - Wojciech 19:03:58 02/26/22 (0)
- Yes. - free.ranger 19:00:27 02/26/22 (0)
- This ain't Hollywood (nt) - Steve O 18:22:32 02/26/22 (6)
- RE: This ain't Hollywood (nt) - RGA 18:45:20 02/26/22 (4)
- We??? - Steve O 19:07:58 02/26/22 (3)
- =) - emailtim 18:27:58 02/26/22 (0)
- I would say yes - Victor Khomenko 18:21:31 02/26/22 (6)
- Where's Novalny in all this? nt - free.ranger 18:58:27 02/26/22 (3)
- Judging from Navalny's twitter account, he's firmly opposed to Russian military in Ukraine. - vacuous 22:38:46 02/26/22 (0)
- RE: Where's Novalny in all this? nt - Wojciech 19:09:56 02/26/22 (1)
- The Wikipedia article has a fair assessment of the man... - vacuous 19:21:23 02/26/22 (0)
- I think this might be a starting point - RGA 18:53:50 02/26/22 (0)
- Like Stalin... - Ivan303 18:50:02 02/26/22 (0)
- Plus 500 Stingers - Victor Khomenko 16:53:38 02/26/22 (6)
- RE: I have seen some shocking video of Russian incompetence - Oldbean 00:06:10 02/27/22 (1)
- Same here, there incompetence is everywhere. - Victor Khomenko 04:40:28 02/27/22 (0)
- Only serving for one year doesn't sound like much training. - srdavis2000 17:10:30 02/26/22 (3)
- That's the point - Victor Khomenko 18:02:26 02/26/22 (2)
- The explanation I found is that Russians had so much disdain - Wojciech 20:56:19 02/26/22 (1)
- RE: The explanation I found is that Russians had so much disdain - b.l.zeebub 02:19:29 02/27/22 (0)
- RE: Germany sending 1,000 anti-tank javelin missles - painter27 16:42:52 02/26/22 (37)
- RE: Germany sending 1,000 anti-tank javelin missles - b.l.zeebub 02:22:56 02/27/22 (7)
- The news I heard mentioned the Panzerfaust 3 - Victor Khomenko 04:47:23 02/27/22 (6)
- RE: The news I heard mentioned the Panzerfaust 3 - b.l.zeebub 05:48:27 02/27/22 (5)
- The more the better, the Ukrainians need all the help they can get - Victor Khomenko 05:51:18 02/27/22 (4)
- RE: The more the better, the Ukrainians need all the help they can get - Inmate51 06:50:51 02/27/22 (0)
- RE: The more the better, the Ukrainians need all the help they can get - b.l.zeebub 06:18:20 02/27/22 (2)
- RE: Germany sending 1,000 anti-tank javelin missles - emailtim 17:35:53 02/26/22 (28)
- According to the German rule... - Victor Khomenko 18:04:51 02/26/22 (1)
- RE: According to the German rule... - b.l.zeebub 02:39:39 02/27/22 (0)
- RE: Germany sending 1,000 anti-tank javelin missles - painter27 17:41:47 02/26/22 (25)
- RE: Germany sending 1,000 anti-tank javelin missles - emailtim 17:43:18 02/26/22 (24)
- You are wrong again - MaxwellP 04:06:14 02/27/22 (1)
- RE: You are wrong again - emailtim 09:50:59 02/27/22 (0)
- Trump was the Number 1 Putin enabler. - b.l.zeebub 02:42:40 02/27/22 (0)
- RE: Germany sending 1,000 anti-tank javelin missles - RGA 18:33:08 02/26/22 (16)
- RGA, we have missed your Anti Trump posting ...welcome back - Carl G 02:43:40 02/27/22 (15)
- RE: RGA, we have missed your Anti Trump posting ...welcome back - RGA 17:16:35 02/27/22 (6)
- Yeah, but how do you really feel about me.? - Carl G 18:57:40 02/27/22 (4)
- RE: Yeah, but how do you really feel about me.? - RGA 20:26:49 02/27/22 (3)
- RE: RGA, we have missed your Anti Trump posting ...welcome back - tweaker456 18:39:52 02/27/22 (0)
- RE: RGA, we have missed your Anti Trump posting ...welcome back - tweaker456 03:17:03 02/27/22 (7)
- STOP, STOP, STOP, YOU ARE KILLING ME !!! - emailtim 10:13:21 02/27/22 (0)
- You are now hocking books ??? - emailtim 09:46:15 02/27/22 (5)
- RE: You are now hocking books ??? - RGA 17:22:19 02/27/22 (4)
- RE: Germany sending 1,000 anti-tank javelin missles - painter27 18:14:56 02/26/22 (3)
- Already posted below... - musetap 15:59:28 02/26/22 (0)