Inmate Central, where civil and family-friendly discourse about off-audio topics (other than religion and politics) is welcome.
In Reply to: RE: Utube Drivel.. again. posted by Rod M on November 19, 2021 at 18:54:02:
Firstly, Greta is not a scientist isn't really an argument - no one says she is. She is an activist. A pretty big distinction. But that's ok - you follow what you're good at so if the dweeby zero personality scientist too shy to speak in public does what they're good at - the science.
Now one of the mistakes that is continually made on this forum is to hold up a small minority of scientists who have been DEBUNKED numerous times by the vast majority of the scientific community - it doesn't matter if they got a PhD in science or hold powerful positions - especially without knowing how they got their position.
What matters is the science, and Judith Curry is one of the most debunked "scientists" in all of science. It's baffling to me why if 99.9% of the world's scientists say the earth is round - people will latch onto the 3 people calling it flat and then THROW OUT the 99.9% And that is precisely what you are doing when you latch onto the odd crazy.
Whenever you see that "one nut" touted on a Facebook meme look them up to see how they are held in scientific circles.
I am not a Climate scientist and neither are you and neither is Greta - smart people go with the majority of the scientific community because "buying off thousands of scientists" is a silly conspiracy - buying off one or two is probably not. So if one is to be a conspiracy theorist - it would make more sense that they (whoever they are) bought off one scientist than the 99.9% percent all around the world.
The earth is round. Climate Change isn't a hoax.
The reason people believe in these one-off scientists is a hubris belief system where they want to be right where everyone else is wrong. I know the "truth" and it's everyone else who is a blind sucker. No different than the people coming to my door with the truth about the afterlife.
All the CC myths debunked with evidence and explanations
A published article does not mean the article is correct - something folks here seem to not understand.
And Curry was specifically debunked here
" Next, Curry invited Tol to submit a detailed critique of the two papers that she had highlighted. He obliged. On that thread, Steven Mosher congratulates Tol for an
...incisive demolition of these two papers. I note the absence of any credible defense of the papers and a high incidence of topic changing.. look at the sunshine.. for example. A bad paper neatly dispatched as you did is a good teaching tool. However, some won't learn and they use the bad paper as an occasion to thread jack.." https://www.discovermagazine.com/environment/is-judith-curry-peddling-disinformation
Again when the majority of science and all of the major scientific "bodies" back something that something tends to be true.
Lastly, use logic and consider these two points:
Point 1: Consider that the only reason folks hold up Judith Curry's opinion to be TRUE is that she has scientific credentials. She is right because she is a scientist.
Point2: If you hold 1 to be true why are you throwing out the 99% of even MORE qualified more renowned scientists who say the opposite? surely if Science credentials were key then why hold to one - unless there is some other motivation beyond science.
There are some scientists with Biology degrees who are creationists. They deliberately got PhDs in Biology in order to hold the credential and then claim creationism is real not Darwin. And those guys have been debunked as cranks. It's not like statistics or measurements can't be used with nefarious ends - but it's far more difficult to bribe higher numbers of people. Big Tobacco had a few scientists under their control - it took 50 years but these guys were found out (incidentally the same scientists claiming MMCC is a hoax).
Read the Book or see the film (as they have all the cited sources in their credits called Merchants of Doubt where they actually possess the papers by the scientists working at the big gas companies who on paper found they were causing Climate change - stone-cold evidence. And their engineers even began doing the right thing to try and combat it - but once it was too expensive - they dropped it. Documentary evidence of it. It's cheaper to spin and buy off some scientists than it is to fix the problem.
Not much different than the Ford Pinto - cheaper to pay off lawsuits than fix the gas tanks.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - China is Coming: Observations from an Expert In Depth (Cars) - RGA 06:06:50 11/19/21 (37)
- One of the parts I found very interesting was that. . . - Chris from Lafayette 18:19:51 11/22/21 (1)
- RE: One of the parts I found very interesting was that. . . - rivervalley817 18:39:52 11/22/21 (0)
- RE: China is Coming: Observations from an Expert In Depth (Cars) - fantja 05:20:24 11/20/21 (0)
- RE: China is Coming: Observations from an Expert In Depth (Cars) - b.l.zeebub 04:37:52 11/20/21 (2)
- Consumers don't care where things are made. - ghost of olddude55 04:16:58 11/20/21 (10)
- "sell vehicles to car buyers who've been abandoned by the manufacturers"... - dark_dave56 05:58:14 11/20/21 (9)
- You're under the illusion that they're in business to make cars. - ghost of olddude55 06:11:59 11/20/21 (8)
- RE: You're under the illusion that they're in business to make cars. - b.l.zeebub 08:35:11 11/20/21 (0)
- No--they're in the business of SELLING cars... - dark_dave56 06:35:36 11/20/21 (6)
- They're in the business of making money. - ghost of olddude55 06:44:09 11/20/21 (5)
- But you are the exception, not the rule... - dark_dave56 07:17:01 11/20/21 (4)
- Utube Drivel.. again. - bare 09:12:36 11/19/21 (19)
- RE: Utube Drivel.. again. - rivervalley817 19:12:42 11/19/21 (0)
- RE: Utube Drivel.. again. - RGA 17:11:19 11/19/21 (17)
- EV tax credits... - ghost of olddude55 04:35:33 11/20/21 (0)
- RE: Utube Drivel.. again. - Rod M 18:54:02 11/19/21 (15)
- RE: Utube Drivel.. again. - JDK 00:40:55 11/20/21 (0)
- 1st Annual Climate Change Summit - emailtim 22:40:33 11/19/21 (4)
- Perfect! -nt - E-Stat 07:30:55 11/20/21 (0)
- RE: 1st Annual Climate Change Summit - fantja 05:17:33 11/20/21 (0)
- RE: 1st Annual Climate Change Summit - tweaker456 23:14:00 11/19/21 (1)
- RE: 1st Annual Climate Change Summit - emailtim 09:03:20 11/20/21 (0)
- RE: Utube Drivel.. again. - RGA 11/19/2120:19:40 11/19/21 (4)
- RE: Utube Drivel.. again. - RGA 22:07:12 11/19/21 (2)
- I've posted this before. . . - Chris from Lafayette 00:59:33 11/20/21 (1)
- RE: I've posted this before. . . - RGA 01:56:10 11/20/21 (0)
- Judith Curry doesn't think the Earth is flat.... - Rod M 20:29:21 11/19/21 (0)
- It's the old mantra "follow the money " - Wojciech 19:30:51 11/19/21 (3)Follow Ups
- RE: Utube Drivel.. again. - RGA 11/19/2120:19:40 11/19/21 (4)