Inmate Central, where civil and family-friendly discourse about off-audio topics (other than religion and politics) is welcome.
Quadral Quintus 130 (German made items - OEM'd with a 4 and 8 ohm option on the back) claimed as giving 30Hz to 25,000Hz and a Luxman L3 integrated 35w/8ohm.
The Quadrals have just been overhauled with new Xover boards and film caps, OEM coils, and new Rs. Several OEM Rs eliminated and it now only has a 6 ohm connection, and no power wasting R.
The Luxman has been my longest lasting integrated amp / receiver, and now back in use. I'll soon be putting it in to have its class-A working range increased, just a bit.
The baby Yamaha MS20s self-powered 2-ways (solid stiff metal enclosures!) in use before in the study - have gone in to be be checked and overhauled - and Class-A upped, before they go to Son 1 as spkrs for his networked HD TV. New 'film' caps to the tweeters, too!
For the perfectionists, my listening ear height is between the mid and tweeter!
First listen just now. They do, actually get down quite low.
Way lower than the Yamaha MS20S' which die at 70Hz, steeply. They are 6th? order active assisted from the era when Yamaha were doing that.
Just been listening to the Black Watch marching the Royal Mile in Edinburgh escorting the Scottish Crown to the Scottish Parliament for QEII's visit. The bass drum sounds realistic on these.
Patricia is telling me it is TOO loud, and she's wrong.
Most of my drilling and marching was done to Pipes and Drums, here in Aussie.
With the Gurkhas too, who march at Light-Infantry/Rifle pace of 140/m not 120/m
but to bugles and drums with The Royal Green Jackets (now part of The Rifles.)
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - the new near-field system in the study!? - Timbo in Oz 22:43:33 09/21/18 (15)
- RE: the new near-field system in the study!? - Cut-Throat 07:26:14 09/29/18 (0)
- As a lad growing up I saw the Black Watch, - kavakidd 15:25:37 09/22/18 (3)
- watching riflemen marching as with the Gurkhas video, was ..... - Timbo in Oz 15:45:32 09/22/18 (2)
- RE: the new near-field system in the study!? - pictureguy 15:01:29 09/22/18 (0)
- The ultimate in nearfield listening. - ghost of olddude55 03:07:03 09/22/18 (7)
- yes but the 'stereo 3D' doesn't work quite so well - Timbo in Oz 14:17:46 09/22/18 (4)
- Headphones seem to be an acquired taste. - ghost of olddude55 14:50:15 09/22/18 (3)
- To me, the fatal flaw of headphones - Jaundiced Ear 18:38:07 09/22/18 (2)
- Sounds three dimensional to me. - ghost of olddude55 04:31:15 09/23/18 (0)
- Givena circuit that can provide a bit of adjustable cross-talk they can pull the 3d thing off quite well - Timbo in Oz 23:34:18 09/22/18 (0)
- RE: The ultimate in nearfield listening. - Story 03:24:21 09/22/18 (1)
- Indeed they are. - ghost of olddude55 04:07:28 09/22/18 (0)
- Update, organ pedals? yes!! - Timbo in Oz 00:27:52 09/22/18 (0)