My system currently consists of: Pass Aleph 3, SF Line 2, EAR 834P, SFCD-1, Oracle Delphi Mk. V/Rega 900/Goldring Excel VX, Dynaudio Contour 1.3 Mk.ll. All cables are silver over copper. My Dyns do not 'open up' with my current amp, though they sound 'good'. My room is 16x10x7 and the layout will only accomodate standmounters or a slim tower. I am looking at two options: get a beefier amp (my choice would be the Simaudio W-5) or a more efficient speaker (Tyler Acoustics, Coincident Technology, Reimer or Reference 3A). Has anyone out there had a similar choice to make. Part of my problem is that I cannot hear any of the speakers, though I have heard my speakers on the W-5. I don't like having to 'crank-up' my speakers to get all the dynamics and detail that I expect.
I don't fall into either the high-power amp/low sensitivity speaker or low-power amp/high-sensitivity speaker preference groups.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Tough choice! - Brian 17:05:34 07/25/01 (5)
- Tough choice indeed! - Deaf Ear 23:55:46 07/27/01 (0)
- I would go with more sensitivity - Jon L 19:58:31 07/25/01 (0)
- Re: Tough choice! - Jerry O 19:37:10 07/25/01 (0)
- Re: Tough choice! - John C. - Aussie 17:59:15 07/25/01 (0)
- Re: Tough choice! - Champion 17:16:29 07/25/01 (0)