Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Modifying/upgrading vs. restoration of vintage receiver

In context with the great responses below, keep in mind that:

1. Today's AC line voltages are higher than when the gear was built. The unit's power supply voltages change as a result.

2. The amount of RF energy around now is HUGE compared with the '60s and '70s. Now you've got a zillion cell phones, wireless web networks, remote controls, switching power supplies, etc., that the original designer had no knowledge of and are now bombarding the vintage gear.

3. The associated gear (speakers, signal sources, wire/interconnects, etc.) used now with vintage pieces often is quite different than what was used back at the time. That may have some impact as well.

4. The tubes themselves are somewhat different than years ago (in the case of tube gear).

5. The parts available today are often far superior (and often much cheaper) to what was available back then. They perform differently in a given circuit in many cases.

5. Finally, an individual owner doesn't have to live within the budget limits and other restrictions the original designer faced.

So I think some modification is often needed just for the piece to survive today's operating environment.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.