Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Modifying/upgrading vs. restoration of vintage...

One thought.. When you restore an old piece, if you put in modern parts they are often of better quality than the originals. A simple example would be diodes. The modern ones you can buy for under a $1 are better than those old silicon ones. You can put really nice caps in the power supply and increase the capacitance. If you simply replace the rest of out of spec components - using carbon resistors and the cap types as suggested you will hear the circuit as the designer intended, just with a better power supply than was available at the time. Often the amp will have much more extended frequency response than even when new. Or you can put better signal caps and resistors in than the original as well. I don't know, you are still hearing the circuit as originally designed, just with better parts. And yes, you can tune the sound with cap and resistor choices as discussed earlier. Or, go for circuit mods. Often you need to mod the circuit to accept a different output tube because the old ones are unobatinium... but there is some other tube that is basically the same, but in a different pinout.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Modifying/upgrading vs. restoration of vintage... - dls123 10:17:35 03/29/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.